Saturday, October 17, 2009

brown rice pilaf with mushrooms and apricots


This tasty vegan dish is perfect paired with a salad, and a vegetable side. I prepared it for my sister after a late night at a football game. I had left over rice, so it took no time to make. She had it with some brussel sprouts, and a mixed greens salad. Ginger cookies for dessert. She said, you're going to put this on your blog right?
It's hearty, sweet, a little nutty, something unique and fun...something i'm planning to make as part of Thanksgiving dinner. It is courtesy of a whole foods market monthly magazine. This recipe serves four:
You will need:
2tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4lb sliced button mushrooms
2 portobello mushrooms-chopped
1/2 small onion chopped, (I had a shallot and used it-it was great)
1 cup long grain rice, ( I used short grain because I forgot!)
2 cups of water or vegetable broth
salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped non-sulfite dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1/4 cup total of chopped fresh parsley and thyme. ( I used more parsley for color because I like it!)
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts, ( I used raw, and crushed them in my hand, because I prefer raw walnuts)
1.In a medium saucepan, saute' all mushrooms and onion in warmed oil over med-high heat for about 6-8 minutes
2. Stir in rice, water or broth, salt and pepper to taste, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium low, simmering until liquid is completely absorbed, about 45 minutes. If the rice you use is already cooked as mine was, then cook for only about 10 minutes on medium low.
3.Remove pot from heat and let sit 10 minutes, uncover and fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl, add apricots, walnuts, herbs and vinegar and toss to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment